Background: This started out as a simple addition of a recessed light in a hallway. The beginning issue was that the wire to power it was live all the time. So I took apart the switches in "Box 1" by my front door. Having little electrical knowledge, I found myself quickly over my head which landed me here.
The Setup: I have Box 1 which contains 4 switches and 5 wires (each with a live and neutral). I have Box 2 which contains one switch for my living room which works independently of the switches in Box 1. Currently there is no power to the wire for the recessed light and none of the other switches work as they've been disassembled. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get them back together and make everything work again. That's where I'm hoping DIY can give me a hand and school me on DIY home electrical work.
- Have the recessed light be on it's own switch.
- Have one switch for the porch light, garage light, and lamp post light. There were 4 switches previously so I want to cut it down to two.
- The Service Box wire will trip the breaker if I connect the live to the neutral.
- The Garage wire will trip the breaker if I connect the live to the neutral.
- The Lamp Post Light wire will turn on the light if I connect the live to the neutral.
- Klein Tools MM100 Multimeter
- Klein Tools Voltage Tester
- Commercial Electric VAC/DC MS8900H Tester
- Standard tools: wire strippers, needle nose pliers, etc.