New home owner here. Thank you for reading my post!

I just purchased my house about 3 months ago. I noticed a gap on the right side of the window frame outside of the house. I'm not sure what caused this or how to fix it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


enter image description here

  • That's not the window frame. That's just siding trim.
    – isherwood
    Commented Jul 13, 2021 at 13:23

1 Answer 1


The good news is that the gap is limited to a small area of the window. Possibly it got wet inside and the wood warped a bit. Hence the massive application of caulk. Maybe the previous owners didn't always shut the window when it rained.

I would re-caulk it and paint it. It doesn't look structural.

  • 1
    That gap isn't structural, but it could be a symptom of structural settling around the window header. It's worth keeping an eye on, and watch for other signs inside, above, and below.
    – isherwood
    Commented Jul 13, 2021 at 13:24
  • I'm not sure what shutting the window would have to do with it since this appears to be the exterior trim.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Jul 13, 2021 at 13:58
  • If you leave a window open, water gets into the structure and can migrate up/down/sideways. People don't generally caulk inside their houses! Commented Jul 13, 2021 at 15:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.