I am just replacing an old double bowl sink at a rental unit . I put a new granite countertop in and now have a single bowl coming down the bottom . The sink and pipe going to the ground is just about directly underneath each other maybe a half inch off .

I'm having a real hard time fitting the swivel on with the P-trap . No matter how close I push it is just not enough to get there . I did read that we can use a rubber coupling and maybe have that work ?

Is there a place post a picture

  • Please post the picture to imgur and add a link to it here, then we can do the rest :) – ThreePhaseEel Aug 16 '16 at 23:34
  • @ThreePhaseEel imgur.com/a/zfzCN – Matthew Stocker Aug 16 '16 at 23:52
  • 2
    flexible drain line – Mazura Aug 16 '16 at 23:57
  • I don't like flex drains but this looks like the best option to me +. – Ed Beal Aug 17 '16 at 0:22
  • Any possibility of moving the drain line? Even if you get the trap connected, you'll be left with an S-trap. S-traps are no longer allowed by most plumbing codes, as they tend to have siphon problems. – Tester101 Aug 17 '16 at 10:50

Is there a joint under that escutcheon?

If so, why not run an elbow toward the back wall, then an elbow upward to a vertical pipe, then an elbow forward to a conventional p-trap?

This would effectively reduce the risk of siphoning water that an s-trap creates.


If there is not enough distance in back of the pipe, the whole elbow/p-trap thing could be canted to one side or the other.

One or more joints could be eliminated if you can find a run of pipe with an integrated elbow. The lower horizontal run is needed only if the elbows don't move the vertical pipe far enough back to accommodate the p-trap.

  • Could you make a little drawing of that. I can visualize what you see and yes there is enough room in the back or side to side. That pipe disconnects from the bottom of the cabinet inside. – Matthew Stocker Aug 17 '16 at 8:05
  • I appreciate everybody's help this is a really great place to learn. – Matthew Stocker Aug 17 '16 at 8:06
  • Updated with illustration. – bib Aug 17 '16 at 13:00
  • That is awesome I can figure that out. Last question does the kitchen need a vent in the sink if it's an older house? – Matthew Stocker Aug 17 '16 at 13:12
  • Code generally requires some type of vent, but I defer to my wiser plumbing friends on certain exceptions and specialized under-sink vents. Was the existing drain vented? Perhaps in the wall? – bib Aug 17 '16 at 13:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.