I have a 120V to 12V 75W max transformer powering an Ikea Halogen light fixture. It seems to have burnt out.

All I can find in stores are 120V to 12V 60W max halogen transformers. The 75W max model I have found online shows a picture of 60W max model.

Is it safe to use these 60W max models to replace the 75W max model, or do I absolutely need a 75W max model?



Depends. What load is on the downstream side?

If there's only one 50W bulb, you should be fine. Two 35Ws? Need a bigger one.

  • Thanks! Exactly the information I needed. Mine is a "spider" model with seven 10W, so I'll have to go with a 75w transformer.
    – alberto56
    Apr 10 '16 at 13:58
  • You may also be able to re-wire the fitting so that 3x10W bulbs are on one transformer, and the other four on another. If you've got room and adequate cooling. Apr 10 '16 at 14:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.