We just got a used electric oven. We had propane, but no longer have access to propane. Currently there is only a standard wall outlet behind the oven.

I realize I need to run a new wire, etc., but am over my head as far as what type of wire, what type of breaker, etc.

The metal panel inside the oven door says:

3 wire 120/208 - 240 volts - 60 Hz AC ONLY





I have a double-30 breaker open in the box. Can I use that, or should I get something bigger?

Is the "3 wire 120/208" the description of the wire I need?

I tried looking it up by the model number, but it doesn't appear to exist. Any help greatly appreciatedoven

  • 1
    There should be a number in front of each "kilowatts". Can you post a photo of the panel?
    – DoxyLover
    May 9, 2015 at 2:53
  • Is it a range (stove top and oven in one free standing unit)?
    – Tester101
    May 9, 2015 at 3:15
  • Sorry for the quality, but i attached a photo. I think I translated the details pretty exactly, but.... let me know if you see anything that you need to know that's not legible and i can try for a better photo.
    – Dave
    May 9, 2015 at 4:11
  • Model is RF374PXDN0. Install guide can be found here. whirlpool.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/…
    – diceless
    May 9, 2015 at 4:26

3 Answers 3


You'll need:

  • NEMA 14-50 receptacle.
  • 40 ampere double pole breaker
  • Four 8 AWG copper conductors, or four 6 AWG aluminum conductors (Hot, Hot, Neutral, Ground).

It's common for builders to use a 50 ampere breaker and larger conductors, to make sure the circuit can handle any range the owner's might use. But if you're installing the circuit to support a particular device, you may be able to use a smaller circuit.

It's common to use aluminum conductors for range circuits, because it's a bit cheaper when you start using larger conductors. Type SE (service entrance) cables are common for range circuits, as it's often easier to pull a cable than individual conductors.

In layman's terms. Go to the electrical supply shop, or hardware store. Tell them what you're doing, and ask for:

  • A four prong range plug.
  • A four wire range cord.
  • 8/3 with ground NM (nonmetallic) cable (copper).
  • A double pole 40 amp breaker.
  • I looked up NEMA 14-50 receptacle, but it looks like it has 4 holes - my chord only has 3. Is that Okay? We hope to get a new/better electric oven soon-ish, if that makes a difference. I have no idea what the "Four 8 AWG copper conductors" are - is there a layman term for those - search came up empty.
    – Dave
    May 9, 2015 at 17:00
  • I have a length of 10-3 wire long enough to use for this - is that the right kind of wire?
    – Dave
    May 9, 2015 at 17:01
  • 1
    You're going to have to install a new 4 wire cord on the range, and use the 4 prong receptacle. You'll also need 8/3 with ground copper cable, or four 8 gauge individual copper wires. The 10 on your 10-3 cable, means there are 10 AWG (American Wire Gauge) wires (conductors) in the cable. Which are too small for this application. The 3 on the 10-3 cable, means there are 3 current carrying conductors in the cable.
    – Tester101
    May 9, 2015 at 17:09
  • 1
    You might want to consider having an Electrician install the circuit for you.
    – Tester101
    May 9, 2015 at 17:11
  • Thanks, @Tester101. It's starting to sound like you're right - I should just hire a professional.
    – Dave
    May 9, 2015 at 20:34

The install guide for the oven lists a 40 amp circuit.

  • Is that this part you're referring to?: "A three-wire or four-wire, single-phase, 120/240-volt, 60-Hz, AC-only, electrical supply (or three-wire or four-wire 120/208-volt if specified on the model/serial rating plate) is required on a separate, 40-ampere circuit, fused on both sides of the line."
    – Dave
    May 9, 2015 at 14:44
  • Does that mean a double-40 breaker (in layman's terms?). Also, what type of wire would I need? Will the wire actually show "120/240-volt, 60-Hz, AC-only"? I thought they said things like "13-2" or ... stuff like that. I assume I'd need 3 wire, since the plug that's on it has 3 prongs, which matches the 3-wire diagram.
    – Dave
    May 9, 2015 at 14:46
  • When it comes to circuits beyond normal outlets I'll let others with more experience answer.
    – diceless
    May 10, 2015 at 3:36

just use romex 8/3 with ground or 8/2 that way you'll have your hot nuetral and ground and itll do 40 amps. Grab a 2pole 40 or a "double 40" as you put it

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.