I just bought a new faucet, and when I try to connect the hose that comes with it into the existing water supply, it doesn't fit. The diameter of the hose (below) diameter of the hose is different than the diameter of the water supply (below) water supply.

What type of adapter and size do I need in order to connect these two?

  • Take the old one to your big box store and see if they have a mate.
    – Gil
    Jan 14 at 2:37
  • Do the threads fit together if you take the rubber gasket and strainer out of the hose?
    – Huesmann
    Jan 15 at 15:09

1 Answer 1


Difficult to guess the size from the picture, but

Shut-off valves (the wall part) come with different-sized outlet ports. The two most common are 3/8- and 1/2-inch compression or male pipe thread. Faucets (the hose) most have 1/2-inch male pipe thread connectors. The hoses that connect the valves to the faucet have a 1/2-inch diameter and come in various lengths and with various configurations of 3/8- and 1/2-inch female connectors.

It looks like you need male to male adapter, from 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.