I found this tool in the middle of the road. Appears to be a pry bar of some sort, approximately 16" long. Can anyone identify it and its use?


  • 5
    I can say from experience these make really bad pry bars. They are brittle and break easily with the forces a pry bar experiences.
    – Brad
    Jun 7, 2022 at 17:05

1 Answer 1


I believe it is a ball joint separator tool for a car.

Another example -

enter image description here

Photo taken from here.

  • 18
    Often called a "pickle fork".
    – jwh20
    Jun 7, 2022 at 11:04
  • 10
    Someone is lucky that a forgotten tool from a careless mechanic didn't block his steering.
    – fraxinus
    Jun 7, 2022 at 14:46
  • 11
    Also known as a Ball Joint Destroyer. Separate a ball joint with this - yes. It's what it's designed for. But you aren't using that ball joint again for anything. In most cases that's fine, but occasionally you just want to get the ball joint out of the way for a few minutes, in which case, there are better tools for the job.
    – PeteCon
    Jun 7, 2022 at 18:56
  • @PeteCon these things work better in pairs, with the two sloped planes pressing against each other. Access can be an issue.
    – Criggie
    Jun 8, 2022 at 23:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.