Does anyone know what these metal tools in the bottom left of the photo are? I found them in my crawlspace and to me they look like some sort of medieval torture device.

enter image description here

  • 5
    Try taking a better picture. Look like some sort of fireplace tools, but the picture is not good for sorting out details.
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Mar 15, 2021 at 2:43
  • 2
    @J... What's wrong with the dirt (just out of curiosity)? My house has a crawlspace just like that with bare dirt.
    – dalearn
    Commented Mar 15, 2021 at 16:31
  • 1
    @dalearn Does Your Crawlspace Need a Vapor Barrier?
    – J...
    Commented Mar 15, 2021 at 16:47
  • 1
    @dalearn Does my Crawlspace Need a Vapor Barrier?
    – J...
    Commented Mar 15, 2021 at 16:48
  • 1
    @dalearn And code : Crawl space encapsulation methods must include protection from ground water entry. Exposed earth in unvented crawl space foundations shall be covered with a continuous, minimum 6-mil polyethylene vapor retarder (2012 IRC Section R408.2) and it must be a Class I vapor retarder (IRC 2012 – N1102.1.10). Vapor barriers should be secured to the ground floor, covering any exposed dirt. Joints must overlap no less than 6 inches, and all seams must be taped (Source: 2015 IRC - Section 408.3.1).
    – J...
    Commented Mar 15, 2021 at 16:50

1 Answer 1


They are old ladder jacks.

Here is a picture in use:

ladder jacks

And they can go under as well:

ladders jacks


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.