Is the pipe in the picture copper piping? House is from 1962, I assume this is original piping. The valve is leaking and I want to replace it with a sharkbite valveenter image description here

  • Where exactly is it leaking from? Have you tried tightening the nut on the valve stem?
    – JACK
    Jul 17, 2020 at 17:48
  • @JACK it's leaking from around the bonnet nut area. I already tried tightening the nut but to no avail. It's on there pretty tight and still leaks. I thinking of replacing it with a 1" sharkbite valve. I think it's 1" in diameter
    – DMR
    Jul 17, 2020 at 17:58
  • 1
    You should be able to remove and repack the gasket material that seals the stem in the bonnet. Used to be done with a twine impregnated with wax(?), IIRC.
    – SteveSh
    Jul 17, 2020 at 19:05
  • Your problem with a sharkbite is that the system expects a clean/round pipe. You've got solder drool and paint. So, I'd suggest a repack/rebuild, learn to solder, or pay someone to do it. Jul 18, 2020 at 16:52
  • Oh, and if you're in the US, that's probably 3/4 copper. Jul 18, 2020 at 16:52

1 Answer 1


Looks to me like the fittings are soldered, so that would mean copper. Can you gently scrape some of the gray paint off - it already appears to be flaking off in places - and see if the copper color shows?

  • 1
    A wire brush should shine up the horizontal run as an additional confirmation.
    – FreeMan
    Jul 17, 2020 at 16:18
  • Or a magnet, because the other option is iron.
    – Willk
    Jul 17, 2020 at 19:01
  • I'm seeing copper colour in the tool mark 2" above the valve.
    – Jasen
    Jul 18, 2020 at 1:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.