Our furnace has not been used as the weather has been fairly warm lately. It may have turned on for a minute the previous night, but I do not know. Anyways I was walking past furnace and noticed I could feel heat coming through the covers. I removed the cover and it was pretty warm. The blower motor felt kind of hot. I flipped the breaker to cut off power supply to the furnace. I did not smell burnt wiring but there was a hot smell. How could the furnace have been so warm when it hasn't been ran regularly the last few weeks?
Could be a faulty thermostat. If you have a multimeter, check if there is any potential on the output, change the setting for a temperature, higher than the ambient and check again. If the electrical potential is the same you may need to change the thermostat. IDK, but I think the heater can't just turn on by itself- there must be a stuck relay/contactor or the thermostat is faulty.