So I bought this air gap: https://www.homedepot.com/p/PartsmasterPro-Dishwasher-Air-Gap-with-Cover-in-Chrome-58454/300733089

And this tailpiece: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-x-8-in-Plastic-Dishwasher-Branch-Tailpiece-C9816/205153966

The output of the air gap is 7/8" barb and the input of the tailpiece is 1/2" barb, what's the correct way to connect these? The only thing I've really seen/figured is a universal dishwasher drain pipe but that's 6ft long to cover a ~1ft distance which seems crazy since I'm already going 6ft from the dishwasher to the air gap. Should I be using vinyl tubing and maybe something like 3/4" ID and clamp super hard on the 1/2" and press really hard to get it onto the 7/8" or something else?

Underside of sink for reference: underside of sink

  • Are you sure you need to use an air gap? If you are permitted by code in your area to use a high hose loop instead then you can just run the dishwasher hose up in a loop and right down to the tailpiece. The 1/2" on the tailpiece should be the same as the 1/2" input on the air gap, so if it fits one it will fit the other - and in fact that may be why the tailpiece has 1/2" instead of 7/8". Aug 27, 2018 at 2:35

1 Answer 1


My dishwasher is installed using only the "everbuilt" part with the "Y" and not an air gap. My son has his installed as Manassehkatz stated. They both work great.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.