I want to install a mini-split unit myself. I can't afford to do it any other way and I'm going to die of heat exhaustion if I fail because these window units just aren't doing the trick.

The only problem is all of the guides say to drill a hole in the wall. My house is all brick.

What am I supposed to do? Should I just run the hoses through the window or can I / should I drill a hole through the brick wall?

  • 1
    Installing a mini-split is rarely a DIY task; you will need a vacuum pump unless you get one of the models with a pre-terminated and pre-vacuumed lineset. I don't know anything about the reliability of these. Jun 12, 2016 at 12:35
  • @SomeoneSomewhere Yea, I realize it's a big job and I might have to hire some laborers to help out. But the price of going with Sears, Home Depot or the like was quoted at about $14,000 whereas the same units (inverter, wall units, and assembly kit) cost 10% of that and some with the same specs but different brands cost under $1,000 (especially those sold with cosmetic-only damage by manufacturers/wholesalers). So I truly can't afford not to DIY. About the vacuum pump -- since the outdoor/inverter is itself a heat pump do I still need something else or is that what you meant?
    – Hack-R
    Jun 12, 2016 at 16:36
  • 1
    When you connect the lineset between the indoor and outdoor units, you need to remove all the air and water from the pipes, or it ruins the compressor. You need a vacuum pump to do this. You'll also need a pile of tools to flare and connect the pipework, and torque it up. Also, third-rate brands are likely to give you worse performance (less granular control, reliability, louder etc.) Jun 12, 2016 at 23:04
  • @SomeoneSomewhere Got it, thanks. I see the vacuum pump kit they make for my lineset. It's very affordable. What are the other must have tools?
    – Hack-R
    Jun 12, 2016 at 23:11
  • 1
    Can I have a link? Jun 12, 2016 at 23:24

1 Answer 1


You can drill small holes through a typical masonry wall without compromising its load-bearing.

Assuming the holes are no more than a few inches in diameter, well spaced apart and are few in number, there should be no problem.

If in doubt, ask an engineer.

  • Very helpful. I'm some kind of engineer myself, but clearly not the right kind. Which kind of engineer should I ask? My main concern with drilling brick is less about structural integrity of the house and more about breaking an entire brick by accident and/or destroying my tools. What type of tools / bits would I need for this?
    – Hack-R
    Jun 12, 2016 at 16:32
  • 2
    Small holes: SDS-Plus drill and masonry bit. Larger holes: SDS-Plus drill and diamond-core bit. Jun 12, 2016 at 22:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.