Bit of a newbie to DIY here.

We've moved in to a house that came with a summer house but the double doors were a bit wonky/wouldn't open easily without breaking in the door. I need to get 4 new hinges for the doors but I'm not sure where I can find these ones. I've looked online on UK sites such as Screwfix but as I'm not sure of the particular name I'm not having much luck.

I've attached a drawing (sorry it's the best I can do as my camera isn't working). My Paint skills aren't the best, it's actually a cylinder shape and half of it spins/moves (this is what is broken/doesn't move anymore so it breaks in to the door).

enter image description here Picture from appararent duplicate question Cheers, Jack

  • Could it be as simple as a need for lubrication? If not, can you remove one of them for long enough to take it to a specialty door hardware place? Commented May 21, 2015 at 13:38

2 Answers 2


Barrel Hinge:

enter image description here

But note that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with fitting a completely different type of hinge.

You obviously need hinges explicitly intended for outdoor use. Not like these

  • Also known as a 'lift off hinge'.
    – user109695
    Commented Dec 7, 2019 at 1:55

It may be a rat tail hinge.

enter image description here

(Image Source)

It doesn't totally look exactly like it, but might be some sort of style of it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.