I recently moved to a new home with a wood burning fireplace. I've never owned one of these before and I want to become familiar with it.
With a fire extinguisher and a pot of water ready, I placed some kindling and a dry log (that came with the house) in the fireplace, along with some clippings from a shrub and some clippings from a paper shredder. Then, I lit the fire and closed the door.
Within a few minutes, a cloud of noxious smoke wafted into the room. Not knowing what could be wrong, I drowned the fire. After this, I stepped outside and observed that there was a little bit of smoke rising from the chimney.
As someone who has never owned a fireplace before, what do I need to know to operate my fireplace safely and avoid smoke coming in my home?