I have a remote switch outside my gas log fireplace to turn the fireplace burner on and off. I've been having problems with the standard thermostat wiring that was supplied with my remote switch. The wiring is melting. Should I be using a "heat resistant" wiring to run from my wall switch thru my fire place to control the ignition of the burners? The answer seem obviously "yes" but do you have a recommended type of wire for this application?
Again the wall switch simply "jumpers" two terminals on my gas valve, thus allowing the gas valve to open and thus the burners to ignite off the pilot. I was thinking of going to my local electrical supply house for some "heat/temperature" resistant low voltage capable wiring and trying that. Also should I run that wiring under the burner pan or behind the burner pan and under the sand/stones provided for aesthetics for the fire place? .