I thought it was the water level switch where the inside was filling up too much. Took it apart, cleaned the inside with a pipe cleaner (there wasn't anything obvious impeding it) and put it back together. Also checked the microswitch and there was continuity there.
Continuing my research, it appears that the lower plastic piece is called a seal, but it does not have any soft gaskets that I would consider a seal. Link for reference.
It's Sunday and everything is closed at this point. So here's my plan.
- Take the seal off and clean it and reinstall it.
- Check for cracked arms for potential incorrect spraying (I doubt that it is this since the leaking is intermittent.)
- Run the dishwasher with the front panel off to see if I can understand the leak futher.
Feedback is appreciated on my plan here. Or if I should just replace the seal and be done with it.
Update (because I continue to research): Looks like I should just replace the seal and be done with it.
Update 2: I took off the door, removed the following.
- insulation (this and this)
- lower door seal
- the following part, which I cannot find on any of the drawings; could be a splash guard of sorts. But I am not convinced that this does anything to regards to keep water inside.
So I think what was happening is that the lower door seal was so dirty and clogged up that water would accumulate on the outside of the door seal during the fill cycle. This section would continue to fill and not drain back into the dishwasher. I took it all apart and cleaned it as best as I could, put it back together and ran it on a quick rinse cycle with the door off to see how far it would fill up. It did not fill up that far. I hope that was it, but I will post back here if that fixes it.