We are trying to replace a bar faucet that was an expensive unit but 20 years old.

All the videos we watched showed a fairly simple screw to unscrew and the faucet would come right out. With this faucet, if you look at the screw and the two plates above the threaded part, nothing moves and we can't get any traction at all.

The actual faucet can twirl somewhat on the tile, but nothing actually moves below. The threaded part isn't part of any screw or nut and the threaded part isn't threaded all the way around, it has notches in the threaded area. It would seem like those plates might be the working part but I can't make them move either.

What tool to use because nothing is working.

Any thoughts on what we are dealing with and how to remove it?

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


Try using a pipe wrench placed directly on that studded nut which I point to with an arrow.

enter image description here

  • 1
    Or put a screwdriver tip against the indicated spot and hit it with a hammer. May 25, 2020 at 19:53
  • I agree that the studded nut is what is locking the faucet in place. Channel lock pliers may be a better tool for this. A basin wrench may work and is designed for faucets in tight places.
    – Alaska Man
    May 25, 2020 at 19:54

The crenellated ring is a large nut that holds the entire unit to the countertop. You need to unthread that nut by making it turn counter-clockwise/anti-clockwise (if looking from below).

It was likely threaded on there originally by use of a special spanner tool that is now lying in a dusty bin in the garage (or garbage). An alternative to the spanner is a screwdriver and hammer to knock the ring loose. Some spray lube on it first will help; and since you said the whole unit was loose enough to turn, you will need a helper up above to hold it.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.