I have an older Black and Decker KR650RE reversible hammer drill. I need to replace the chuck however the screw on the inside seems damaged. How can I remove the chuck. Any help much appreciated. Thanks! inside drill chuck

2 Answers 2


Gently tap an old screwdriver in there and consider it may be a left-hand thread.

Worked for me in the past.

That damage is due to drill bits spinning in the past when not the chuck was not sufficiently tightened.

  • 1
    also double-ended drill bits. can make a mess in there if they slip.
    – Jasen
    Apr 12, 2020 at 5:10

I just had the same issue and a friend suggested holding a screwdriver on the screw and tapping it with a hammer. It took a few attempts but eventually it loosened enough I was able to unscrew it (with left-hand thread).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.