I have a couple of boards that are parts of a table I am assembling, and I wish to know the name of the metal piece of hardware circled in red, below. I would have thought it was called a bolt, but I cannot find anything like it under the name "bolts" at home depot.

enter image description here


Upon closer inspection, the hardware appears to be threaded inside for accepting a machine screw. This may help with identification, and I believe that one or two of the answers below may be already correct. I am reluctant to remove it from the hole because I do not want to risk stripping the wood in the hole.

  • 3
    A picture of the item while NOT embedded in the board might be helpful for disambiguation, but I'm pretty sure what I'm seeing, anyway. Useful to take one with you to make sure the replacements are the same.
    – Ecnerwal
    Sep 13, 2019 at 0:18
  • Can you post a picture of the Fastener by itself? Hard to tell for sure what it is based on a picture of it installed.
    – Dan Spence
    Sep 14, 2019 at 12:07
  • As I said, I'm reluctant to remove it from the wood because I do not want to risk stripping the hole. I'm now 90% sure it's called a threaded insert, as a couple of people have remarked below.
    – Mark
    Sep 14, 2019 at 14:39
  • Why are you trying to do this online? You need to go find your local "most famous and ancient" hardware store, almost always a family-owned type operation that's been there for 120 years, that has miles of the little sliding drawers with almost every conceivable fastener. They will have it. They're NOT on the web, you have to soft-shoe in there on your own two feet. Bring the board. Sep 14, 2019 at 18:52

5 Answers 5


While difficult to tell for sure I think it is an E-Z Lok threaded insert. It consists of a course threaded screw that is inserted into the wood. A pilot hole is drilled and the insert is screwed in with a Allen wrench until it is flush. The center of the insert is tapped for a machine screw. The advantage of this fastener is it can be disassembled numerous times with out stripping the wood.


It's a countersink style bolt or screw that comes with the ubiquitous Swedish "assemble-it-yourself" furniture and now some knock-off Ikea copycat furniture. If you look in the fastener section of your Big Box hardware store it will be with other fasteners labeled "furniture fasteners"; often sold in little packages, sometimes in the "specialty fastener" drawers.

picture of an allen wrench and allen screws for wood

  • Based on the depth of the apparent counterbore in the photo, above the slot, I'll wager this is the correct fastener.
    – fred_dot_u
    Sep 13, 2019 at 9:16
  • 1
    The example pic shows really long versions, but short versions, of only about 1/2" to 3/4" can be found at many local hardware stores. Sep 13, 2019 at 16:17

The item looks like a grubscrew.

enter image description here

  • 2
    This is most definitely not what the OP is looking for. These are commonly used on metal parts in machines to prevent slipping by locking them in place, such as with pulleys or gears on a motor shaft, not on wood parts. They are also used to keep knobs on potentiometers. These screws are more commonly they are called "set screws". en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_screw Sep 13, 2019 at 16:16

Home Depot sells them as "threaded inserts" on their website and the folks who work at your local store should be able to point you in the right direction.

They're used to provide threads for a machine screw in wooden pieces so that they can be assembled/disassembled more easily. They tend to strip out in softwoods and particle boards quite easily if you're not rather gentle with them.


You're looking for Tapping Inserts for Softwood. They are available in different sizes so you'll need to determine the screw size.

enter image description here

  • 1
    Can you add some more info to the post in case the link breaks? Sep 13, 2019 at 23:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.