I'm translating a Russian text about a high-tech kitchen, and one sentence goes like this:

The cabinets are equipped with servo drives and will open at a light touch.

The original text says literally "equipped with electrical motors", but I came across the term "servo-drive". Is this term generic, or is there a more widely used generic term for this?

I would avoid a licensed term in favor of a more generic, common one.


To my mind, servos are typically used in control-gear, not the sort of thing I'd associate with cabinets.

Personally, I'd use something like:

The cabinets are electrically driven ...


The cabinets have motor drive ...

| improve this answer | |

There is a "Servo Drive" brand of cabinet door and drawer opening system which may be what they are referring to:

Servo-Drive web site

I suppose that there may be other vendors with similar products, but in some places the actual name, "SERVO-DRIVE" may be a registered trademark by this company.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.