I have a PVC P-trap under a sink and the trap nut is a very low profile, flush plastic nut that appears to be octagonal. The nut is only about 1/8" thick or less and 1" across so there is very little area for a wrench to grip onto. To make it even worse, the corners of the nut are not sharp, but are rounded off.

Is there some kind of special tool that is used for this kind of nut?

  • Roughly what size is it across? 1"? 4"? – Andrew Morton Jan 11 at 13:40
  • 3
    Be sure it's actually a nut and not just a molded-in design element. – isherwood Jan 11 at 13:43
  • 2
    Replacement PVC P-traps (without this "feature") are cheaper than most specialised tools. – RedGrittyBrick Jan 11 at 16:15
  • 3
    A photo might help this question. – Kevin Reid Jan 11 at 19:54

A channel-lock plier is the best tool for about any PVC nut. It's much quicker and more reliable than an adjustable wrench due to the clamping force you're able to apply and the gripping teeth.

  • With PVC the wrenches for these nuts don't hold well as you have found so the best tool becomes channel locks. Make sure to get a pair that will open enough for the drain size.+ – Ed Beal Jan 11 at 15:08
  • The nut is only 1/8" or less high, maybe 1/16" with rounded edges. There is no way pliers or channel locks will work. It requires some kind of special tool, but I don't know what it is. – Tyler Durden Jan 11 at 15:55
  • The wrench doesn't care how wide the nut is. Are you saying that there's something in the way? That hasn't been made clear. Post a photo. – isherwood Jan 11 at 16:53

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.