The water feed line on my furnace humidifier that connects to the pad started leaking, so I need to replace it. The original was made latex 1/4" OD tubing, but the store doesn't have that size and the latex tubing they do have is MUCH more expensive than vinyl tubing.

My questions:

  • Is it a problem to use Vinyl for water tubing that will end up circulating in my air?
  • Will Vinyl tubing work for my situation? Was there a reason the original had latex tubing?
  • Do I need to be concerned about the temperature the tubing may reach being next to my furnace?
  • Aren't there a lot of types of vinyl? Do I have to look for particular properties of my specific vinyl to make sure it would work for my situation? Or would any vinyl do?

If it helps you can see a diagram of my HE220 humidifier and you can see the tubing on page 3 which also connects at the top of the pad.

  • Are you sure it is latex? Could be a soft vinyl or rubber. I looked at the install instructions, and various places online and nothing said latex, rubber or vinyl. However, tubing was used, which generally indicates vinyl, hose is usually rubber. – Jeff Cates Mar 13 '18 at 17:05
  • No, I'm not sure. It was black (opaque) and squishy and the only tubing material that was remotely similar at my hardware store was latex, so I just assumed. I called Honeywell this morning and said Vinyl or latex are both fine. – Dan Mar 13 '18 at 17:43

I called Honeywell about the issue and they said both Latex and Vinyl were fine to use for the humidifier water feed tube.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.