This weather stripping is about 20 years old, and obviously it's no longer doing anything. It seems like it's stuck between those pieces of wood, but I can't tell if it's glued in, or if there are nails holding it in, or if it's just a compression fit. Can anyone identify how it was installed? If it's really in there, I was thinking I'd just cut it off and grab some adhesive based stripping to replace it.

Click any image for full size

2 Answers 2


I have seen this type of weather stripping many times on sliding doors. There is a flange on the weather stripping that fits into the mill work. It is a bit difficult to remove, and even harder to replace. They sell the replacements at most box stores. It is important to remove the flange from a small dido (gap) in the frame. Putting the new one in is tedious and often frustrating, but can be done. It is truly a poor design. Take your time, use a little wood glue as lube and a way to keep it in place, or use a surface mounted replacement. I have had some success with self adhesive pillow type weather stripping. I feel your pain! lol.


Most likely it is a compression fit with some kind of adhesive. It's not so common to find pre-manufactured windows with nailed strips, although you do get after-market ones. You can buy the weather strips in big packs and re-affix it yourself. I am not sure what type of adhesive is meant to be used but I would assume wood PVC glue would do it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.