Anyone know if there's a solution for locking a backyard shed, that would let me rekey it to be the same as a normal house key.

The shed is a Tuff Shed with double wood doors like this:

Currently the shed is secured with a basic swivel hasp like this, and padlock.

basic swivel hasp

I'm looking to minimize the number of keys I have and avoid having to fumble with a padlock (especially at night).

I've found keyed hasps like this one: - Prime Line Keyed Hasp

enter image description here

But it seems like the keys they use are tiny ones like on lockboxes, so I probably can't rekey it to my standard house key.

I'm also up for any other keyed/securing options I was thinking about maybe a keypad secured door lock (but that would probably require replacing the basic swinging wooden doors).

I've also seen T-Handle shed locks but again the keys seem like they're smaller than standard house keys (not sure if I could rekey it)

  • I disagree. There's simple and universal wisdom here: go see a locksmith. They do 10 of these before breakfast. They can easily build a padlock with the same key as your house. Even if it's a hard key like Primus. They can do it at their premises, so you don't have to pay for a service call, but they will need to borrow a key to your house. Cost will be very reasonable in the scope of what they do, but rather pricey compared to a Master lock in a plastic blister-pack at Big Orange. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 10 '16 at 22:31

A locksmith can order (if necessary) and set up padlocks or locking hasps that respond to your house key, unless the house lock is using a particularly uncommon key blank. They may be a bit larger than the ones designed to be sold in bulk, and they will probably be a bit more expensive, but the price shouldn't be unreasonable.

| improve this answer | |
  • Even if it's an uncommon key blank. As long as a key core can be obtained which fits a padlock made to take key cores. Those are usually common to doorknobs etc. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 10 '16 at 22:35

you can just replace your house lock or locks with weiser smartkey units, and then buy a weiser smart keyed padlock. i have six smartkey locks on the doors in my home, and a dozen or so padlocks. all can be operated with a single key. and, as a bonus, you can rekey your locks yourself in about 30 seconds.

| improve this answer | |
  • There are other product lines from other manufacturers which offer the same flexibility... without having to replace all your locks took integrate the new ones. – keshlam Apr 10 '16 at 3:20
  • could you let me know which ones specifically? i have never found anyone else that offers the same package of self re-key capability and a padlock that matches. i would be interested in comparing cost vs benefits – personal privacy advocate Apr 10 '16 at 17:56
  • It's been a year since I looked seriously at my locksmithing wholesalers; lemme see if I can dig out a few specific examples... But there are several padlocks that can accept a standard KIK cylinder with a suitable tail, which should be adaptable for most keys. – keshlam Apr 10 '16 at 22:38
  • ... I grant that most of these aren't intended for self-rekey. But I say again, comparing the cost of replacing cylinders throughout, plus the problem of some of the self-key systems being less secure than I like... – keshlam Apr 10 '16 at 22:43
  • okay - thanks anyway. yes, the self re-key is the main selling point. keyed alike cylinders for padlocks and door locks have been available for decades, but the ability to regularly change your keys out is the main selling point for me. with a single lock changeout running $50-$100, its well worth converting to the smart lock key system for me. that way any straggler keys dont become a security risk - you just quickly rekey. as to the security of the system, you'd have to prove it to me. at the same pricepoint, i would stack the smartkey locks up against all competitors. – personal privacy advocate Apr 11 '16 at 3:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.