I recently finished building an outdoor shed/office:
The porch is redwood. The structure itself is "nordic spruce"
I have not painted the outside yet (I'm planning to do that soon) but I've already noticed some flying termites nearby (about 5 or 6 were caught in a spider web). I haven't seen any indications of actual wood damage/penetration but this still makes me very nervous.
Is there anything I can do to try to protect the structure?
Researching online hasn't been particularly helpful. From what I've found, my options include:
- Hiring an exterminator - I'm not sure if this would be particularly useful since I'm not seeing actual indications of termite damage. I also don't have a lot of money to spend. :-(
- Using pesticides around the perimeter of the structure - It's unclear to me if that would actually do anything to protect the walls or if that would only protect the treated lumber foundation.
- Adding a chemical repellent additive to paint. - Is this a gimmick? Or does it actually help?
- Using non-toxic alternatives - Orange oil, etc. I question whether these would be powerful enough.
- Using bait - Stakes in the ground to attract/kill termites
Disclaimer: I could very well be overreacting here.