We have a number of "slabs" that are just wider than a brick, which are set on top of walls in the garden. A number of them have come lose and I need to remove the cement mix that used to hold them down and set them again.

What mix of cement and sand should I use, and are there other things I should mix in to ensure the mortar has a good "grip" on the stone that sits on top of the wall?

  • 2
    Construction adhesive works well.
    – Tester101
    Jul 29, 2010 at 1:04
  • Would "Construction Adhesive" be available in a hardware store (in the UK I'm thinking Wickes, Jewsons, B&Q)? Is it something that's added to the cement and sand mix? Jul 29, 2010 at 5:56
  • I'm not sure what is available in the UK, in the states it would be Liquid Nails, or a construction adhesive from DAP. This is not mixed with the cement, it is used to glue the top cap to the wall.
    – Tester101
    Aug 16, 2010 at 12:16
  • Could you add that as an answer rather than a comment so I can accept it as the answer. Otherwise I'll add it myself but you should get the rep points for answering it. Aug 17, 2010 at 8:54

1 Answer 1


you could use a Construction adhesive like Liquid Nails or Beats the Nail. This works well for cap stones, since they are usually not a structural part of the wall.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.