I need to extend my furnace vent pipe up 2 foot above the ridge of my roof to comply with IBC. So I need to couple this pipe somehow and extend it up. Any idea what type of pipe this is and how I would extend it?

enter image description here

  • 5
    My first thought is asbestos – Steven Jan 10 '15 at 16:33
  • 4
    Definitely looks like asbestos. It's a fiber, not metal or plastic, and the only fiber that I am aware of that could possibly be used for a furnace vent would be asbestos. You might want to consider replacing the entire thing. – Mark Jan 10 '15 at 19:01

Asbestos. (lgam.info/asbestos-cement-pipe)

enter image description here

You'd need cast couplings: (ebay, Smith Blair Industrial Ad)

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.