house built in the 50s. I notice these broken off from the baseboard(?). Any idea what they are? They don't look like wood and I don't know if the white structure is part of the baseboard or something else. Thanks ahead

enter image description here

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


That is wood or fiberboard. What you've got there is water damage and dry rot.

  • 8
    That's mdf you can tell from how it has swollen from the bottom up. wood doesn't swell that way. Commented Mar 8 at 9:08
  • 5
    Indeed this is MDF that got wet. Either someone dumped water on the carpet, or there's a leak somewhere.
    – bobflux
    Commented Mar 8 at 11:58
  • 3
    Or the dog had an "accident" there.
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Mar 8 at 12:40
  • Thank you. The previous persons have dogs, yes. So if it's dry now, is it safe to assume there is no ongoing leak?
    – Motoko
    Commented Mar 8 at 18:34
  • 2
    @Motoko We can only see not-repaired water damage. No way for us to determine if it will stay dry. Commented Mar 8 at 19:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.