I'm a new home owner trying to get all of the information I need to tackle this project. I tend to overthink things, but I'm trying to do this the right way. Here's my plan, and I am hoping that someone can help guide me in the right direction if I have something wrong:

  1. Clean and strip the sections of peeling/loose paint (5-in-one tool and sanding block or considering getting an oscillating multi tool with a sanding attachment to help)
  2. Remove the old caulk at the seams (with a razor and/or scraper)
  3. Re-caulk the seams around the window (Big Stretch is the product I'm considering, something for exterior and paintable)
  4. Re-paint with 100% acrylic exterior paint & primer (Behr Premium Plus from Home Depot is what I'm looking at)

Thanks for any guidance!

Edited per moderation advice, please disregard the arrows in the pictures below

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Welcome to Home Improvement. Please take the tour. You've asked one question "does anyone know what this is?", then muddied the waters by talking about a process for refinishing that's unrelated to identifying what "this" is. Please edit this down to just asking the identification question, or get rid of that entirely (to match your title). In either case, feel free to ask the other question independently.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Sep 6, 2023 at 19:20

2 Answers 2


The piece you point out looks like a PVC trim part -- it's just a plastic replacement for wood. Even if you break it, it's easy to replace, so don't worry too much about it.

Just scrape the paint that's peeling off, remove the caulk with a utility knife. Recaulk. Prime everything with a good-quality primer (this is more important than the paint itself.) Then make sure to use outdoor paint.

Give yourself plenty of time to do the job, and buy extra materials.


The Vinyl part of the window only needs some cleaning, some new caulking would help

However the wood part (frame) needs more attention.

Scrape the old pain and the caulking. Sanding might be needed.

If the wood is slightly damaged use special wood filler for rotten wood. Test the depth of the root by pushing a nail in it, by hand .

Apply fresh caulk and paint.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.