I'm going to be putting in a reverse osmosis water filtration system and running a water line to the refrigerator for the water/ice supply.

On the counter next to the refrigerator is where we keep our coffee maker.
We've found that filling up the reservoir from the fridge water supply is kind of annoying.

I had an idea of teeing off the fridge supply and putting a spigot under the cabinet over the coffee maker, so we could more easily fill it.

I believe that the filter uses either PEX or PERT tubing, so running it where I want it to go shouldn't be a big hassle, but I'm not sure what the best way of having a spigot would be.

I'm not above jury-rigging something if the whole idea isn't faulty.

  • 2
    If it were me, I’d get a new coffee maker that is designed to be direct-plumbed and bring the pipe over for that. Otherwise, you should look at “pot fillers” which are water faucets designed for installation over stoves. You could also look at wall-mount faucets that you might see in a bathroom. Nov 15, 2021 at 16:48
  • Other thing to search for are 'water dispenser spigot' (which gets a lot of small things that could be horizontally mounted) and 'flexible pot filler' which gets pot fillers that are a bit of flex hose instead of being articulated out from the wall or counter. There's probably something on one of those that you could make work. Nov 15, 2021 at 17:00

1 Answer 1


The same places that sell RO filters sell spigots. Drill a hole in the countertop and drop it in, tighten the clamping nut below, attach the waterline.

If you want it to sprout from the cabinet above, you'll be more in a jury-rigging place. If you don't mind crude, a simple valve poking out on a tube is easy, but anything like a finished tap/faucet for that application is likely to be hard to find.

The lack of a drain under it could present some possible problems if it drips or if you flip it on to fill the coffeemaker and forget it. That's why they are usually associated with sinks.

  • Hmm, gives me a few things to think about. The counter is granite, so I'm not sure I want to try drilling it, even if the wife will let me, and the sink part is a good point.
    – AndyD273
    Nov 18, 2021 at 0:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.