The situation: I want to replace incandescant bulb in a ceiling socket with LED or CFL.
- When I plug in a CFL, it glows when the wall switch is in the off position, gets brighter when turned on, and makes ominous hissing / crackling sound.
- When I plug in an LED, it is on when the wall switch is in the off position, gets brighter when turned on, makes an ominous hissing / crackling sound, and flickers.
- Pre-existing condition: With incandescent, wall switch position doesn't always determine on/off status (i.e., sometimes have to toggle several times)
- The switch is not a dimmer switch and does not have a timer.
- Does the hissing / crackling sound indicate danger?
- What accounts for the pre-existing condition? Is it simply a faulty switch?
- Does the pre-existing condition explain the CFL / LED issues?
and, of course
- Is there a solution?