I need to extend some 4" PVC drainage pipe. The problem I'm having is that the existing pipe is "Type C" ("tele-duct"). It has a slightly different outer diameter (4.350") than a typical PVC pipe (e.g. Schedule 40, 4.50").

I've only been able to find one possible "Type C to Schedule 40" adapter product, and it's from a wholesaler with a high minimum purchase. Is there any way to wrap the existing pipe with some kind of sheathing to increase the outer diameter before cementing it to a "normal" Schedule 40 fitting?

  • 1
    Is digging out the existing drain pipe an option? Because what you have isn't drain pipe. It's conduit for wires.
    – longneck
    May 26, 2020 at 4:02
  • @longneck: No. I mean, of course I could redo what already exists, but it's not worth the expense. (It's probably at least 50 feet of pipe under my backyard.) Yes, I already asked myself, "why did the idiots who put this in use telephone conduit?" May 26, 2020 at 6:31

1 Answer 1


Cast iron has roughly the same O.D. as your Type C. You could use a shielded "no hub" connector for iron to PVC, such as the Fernco 3000-44.

You could also go all bushcraft and stretch your Type C a bit. By heating it slowly and carefully you'll get it soft, then work a sphere or cylinder of the right size into it until it cools. You can then do a standard PVC coupler.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.