I am planning to:
- cover over the fireplace recess with a sheet of plasterboard and skim the wall
- tile the fireplace hearth with victorian style mosaic tiles
- install a victorian cast iron radiator on the hearth and a wooden mantlepiece
The existing hearth is uneven and has cut outs in the corners. It lies approximately 1cm proud of the wooden floor, and extends back into the fireplace recess.
- remove the old hearth completely and pour a new base for the tiles
- somehow fill and flatten the old hearth and cover with the tiles
Any other suggestions or comments are welcome.