I'm replacing the drain plumbing from my bathroom sink, and there is currently a 1-1/4" male threaded PVC fitting coming from the wall, which I assume is a trap adapter that was installed at some point in the past. I have the nut from it and understand it should tightly clamp around a new piece of pipe, but I can't seem to make it work. There was no gasket there - should there be one? How do I go about attaching the plumbing to this threaded fitting? Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!!enter image description here

  • 1
    Pictures would be very helpful, if you can include a ruler or tape measure for scale that would also be helpful.
    – Eric Urban
    Aug 22, 2018 at 2:08
  • 1
    Some PVC connections include a native gasket, while others (like your drain assembly) have a movable one. Without more details I'm not sure we can help you.
    – Machavity
    Aug 22, 2018 at 2:33

2 Answers 2


The fitting you show inthe picture is probably a "desanco" fitting. A tail piece or J bend is slipped into the fitting and a gasket and jam nut seal the joint. This J bend is usually part of a P trap assembly. If in doubt, go to a big box store, show them a picture and they can show you what you need.


It is supposed to have a gasket. Like the one you get with a trap adapter. Install 1 1/4" P trap, then you are good to go.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.