I just had a home inspection done for a home we are planning to purchase. The home inspector saw an electrical outlet and didn't know what the part in the middle was for/what was special about it.

The outlet at the front right corner of the family room is one I have not seen before, as shown in the following photo. I believe this outlet is designed for use with electrical equipment such as stereos and TVs. This is not a GFCI (Ground FaultCircuit Interrupting) outlet.

My first thought was home automation of some kind, but as I'm not in the house yet, not sure. Does anyone recognize it from the photo?

Electrical Outlet

2 Answers 2


It looks a lot like a GoControl W015Z-1 Z-wave smart receptacle. See here


It looks like a safety device for closing the ports when not in use, so children won't push anything into it.

  • 4
    Did you not find the existing answer, with its resource link, convincing?
    – isherwood
    May 15, 2018 at 17:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.