I'm putting up a plywood wall in my garage workshop and have some unsightly seams; 1/8" or less gaps except around floor where I plan on installing baseboard anyway. I've had to cut smaller segments of plywood to work around some workbenches installed by the previous owner so there's vertical and horizontal seams, if that matters. I plan on painting the wall when finished but wondering what would be best to use to fill in/cover the seams before painting.

  • 2
    Why not painters' caulk?
    – bib
    Jan 4, 2018 at 17:27
  • 3
    My garage has plywood walls throughout; the builder added thin strips of 1-1/2" to cover all the seams. I think they're nailed in, but they might just be glued, too. They look nice, but they also make it annoying when I want to put something flush against the wall. Jan 4, 2018 at 17:29
  • 1
    If you're opposed to covering it with a thin piece of something like screen molding, then I think caulk is going to be the best option. You want some elasticity for a little movement (bondo might crack easily).
    – JPhi1618
    Jan 4, 2018 at 18:48
  • 1
    The previous owner of my house used drywall mud over the seams in the plywood wall in the garage. It definitely cracked, so don't do that. I vote for painters caulk or something flexible. Run a finger over it to remove the bead if you want it to look smooth.
    – freshop
    Jan 4, 2018 at 21:01
  • 3
    It's a garage shop, not the Louvre. And you're painting it, so painters caulk is not only the obvious solution, it's the right solution. That's already two steps closer to the Louvre than your average garage shop. Feel free to grain-fill the plywood and use umpteen coats of primer and sanding it back to obtain a flawless surface before the final coat of paint, then you can be 3 steps closer... Or you could skip all that and start screwing things to it and use it.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jan 4, 2018 at 21:36

3 Answers 3


The overwhelming consensus here seems to be standard painter's caulk so marking this as answered. Thanks to all that responded.


The most astheticaly(sp) pleasing way to cover gaps in a plywood wall with flush results is to glue up a veneer on the gaps. caulking, silicone, anything else will be ugly, dirty, and eventually fall out.


While not 100% flush, I just use aluminum T trim. I apply GrabIt to the seam and the undersides of the trim and push into place, and wipe excess with a damp paper tower and then use a couple pieces of thin lath screwed perpendicular across the trim with small diameter screws. I let it cure for 48hours, remove the lath, putty the tiny screw holes, sand and then paint. Make sure you leave a gap between the plywood sheets for the trim. Also, scuff with 120 grit and clean the trim with isopropyl alcohol BEFORE installation. Prime at least the trim and then paint. I don't have pics with me but can post later if needed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.