I used a patch kit to fix a 1/4" hole in drywall and the patch is too raised and visible. Is there a way I can undo the patch and try a different solution? There are 2 separate holes, both are patched and sanded, one also has primer over it.

  • 2
    Can you post a picture?
    – bib
    Nov 22, 2017 at 22:38
  • You are supposed to build the mud up on top of the patch and then taper it down to the existing wall surface. It takes skill.
    – Paul Logan
    Nov 22, 2017 at 23:20

1 Answer 1


I recently learned on a trrick on ajob site for this problem. Use a utility knife to cut around the hole. Use some thing as a template to trace aroud before cuttng. Then use the same template and cut anew pice of sheet rock the same size. But taper it like you would if you were cutting the top of a jack o lantern. It will slide in perfectly with a little mud around the edges it will stay in place and stay flush or just slightly off. You can then fill or sand to get it flush.

It works perfect and is very easy. Not a lot of skill involved

  • No tape? Sounds like a recipe for cracking failure to me. Nov 23, 2017 at 17:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.