Would it be called "overlap door lock"? Instead of being installed inside the door, it is screwed outside of the door.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 3
    In English, the question should read, "What is this kind of door lock called?"
    – jpmc26
    Oct 27, 2017 at 4:23

5 Answers 5


These are usually called "rim locks" in North America and the UK. Maybe different elsewhere.


I have usually seen these just called "surface-mount locks". I have never seen "rim lock" used in the (Eastern) USA.

  • 2
    Even if this isn't the correct term, it's the one most likely to be understood at the hardware store. Oct 27, 2017 at 13:07

One possibility is "rim lock": http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/rim-lock


In Danmark they are called "kasselås" in danish, which translates to "box lock", probably referring to it being a visible as a box mounted on the outside of the door instead of inside it.

  • 1
    Is "Danmark" what the Danes call their country, Denmark? Or just a typo ;-)
    – Xen2050
    Oct 27, 2017 at 18:44
  • @Xen2050 Fairly easy to check.
    – Dan Mašek
    Oct 27, 2017 at 22:04
  • @DanMašek Is it though? That page is in Danish, so "Danmark" is Danish for "Denmark"... But since we're using English here, it must be a typo and the Danish name for Denmark... It was easier to just ask
    – Xen2050
    Nov 4, 2017 at 4:36
  • 1
    Yes, "Danmark" is the danish version of "Denmark". Could be a typo but it isn't. ;-) Nov 16, 2017 at 10:00

People in the UK often call them "Yale locks", because that is one of the most common brands. Like we usually call Vacuum cleaners "hoovers"

  • 1
    Yale type locks don't have the deadbolt as well, only the latch
    – Separatrix
    Oct 27, 2017 at 12:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.