My bathroom lock is broken and I am looking to buy a replacement, but I don't know what its called.

Here is a photo of the broken one and a working one from the toilet.

enter image description here

Would anyone know the search terms I would use to find a similar one to order?

Thank you.

  • what is the point of posting two pictures? ... no way to tell from the picture which one is broken ... are you looking to replace the one on the right or the one on the left?
    – jsotola
    Commented May 10, 2020 at 5:06
  • do a google image search on one of the locks ... you may get a useful hit .... can't do it with a picture of two locks
    – jsotola
    Commented May 10, 2020 at 5:10
  • Could you also add a picture of the latch? Commented May 10, 2020 at 5:50
  • it's a prIvacy latch-set but you'll probably want a more specific term.
    – Jasen
    Commented May 10, 2020 at 6:11

1 Answer 1


Any non-keyed locking door knob is generally known as a "privacy knob."

That one has a surrounding plate and an exposed switch. When all the hardware is together like that there is a chance it's a mortise lock, but you can confirm this by looking the side of the door and seeing if all the parts are combined.

Example of similar hardware that looks different but might work the same way.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.