All of my home theater components are in an under-stair closet that shares a wall with the back of my living room.

I already plan to run audio to the subwoofer in the living room, with a nice cover plate, etc., but I'd also like to power the subwoofer using the switched outlet on the back of my receiver/amplifier, so I'm not powering it 24/7.

Running an extension cord directly through a bare hole in the wall seems messy, is there a way to properly create a switched outlet on one side of a wall with a power cord on the other? How would I properly label it?


1 Answer 1


You'll need to pick up a PowerBridge type device, they allow you to have an inlet in one location and an outlet in another.

enter image description here

You'll connect the inlet to the outlet using cable rated for the appropriate load (14/2 Romex most likely), this insures everything is up to code (since it's not proper to run extension cords through walls).

To make the outlet switched, you'll simply connect a switch on the hot wire of the cable between the inlet and outlet devices.

enter image description here

  • 1
    This is exactly what I hoped was available / legal. I won't need a switch, the amplifier feeding the outlet will switch power to it. Commented Feb 12, 2012 at 20:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.