What topics can I ask about here?
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is for contractors and (serious) DIY'ers.
The core of this site is around parts of your home that are typically included when you buy or sell it, the structure, utilities, and major appliances.
We welcome these topics:
- Questions you would typically ask a home contractor.
- Which tools, materials, and best practices for home improvement task.
- Identifying the source or cause of a problem within your home.
- National building codes (of any country).
- Installation, maintenance, and repair of major appliances.
- Carpentry and woodworking.
To improve your question, make sure you include:
- Your location. Advice will vary with your local building codes and climate.
- Pictures. They really can be worth a thousand words.
Note, the following are considered off-topic:
- The cost of a job or the price of tools as these will vary between locations and over time.
- Shopping assistance, product recommendations, or brand specific advice. (See the discussion in meta for more details on this policy.)
- Questions that require a physical presence, such as locating the source of a smell.
- Local building codes or advice limited to your area.
- Legal questions, including contracts with builders, contractor negotiation, and rental agreements.
- Ranting. Please try to ask your question without a long complaint.
- Decorating advice.
- Hobby projects.
- Cars, motorbikes, boats etc. (Try motor vehicle maintenance and repair.)
- Landscaping. (Try gardening and landscaping.)
- Operation of major appliances or questions regarding small appliances.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Home Improvement Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.