Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My home was built in 1959. The clean out cap in the basement is 2.5" ID but it doesn't have threads. It has 2 nubs (now it only has one) opposite each other that fit into two notches in the pipe. I'm assuming you place it and turn to close it. I found it today laying on the concrete floor, one nub is missing and the whole thing looks pretty corroded. Can I replace the cap, I've been looking online and don't see any that look like mine, just threaded ones.

share|improve this question
Is it brass? Only place I've seen those used is in fire systems. See firehosedirect.com/brass-pin-lug-2-1-2-nh-cap-with-chain Best bet is to take the cap to your local plumbing supply shop and see if they can get you a replacement. Using a threaded one may mean a lot of work because you have to change the fitting the plug goes into. – OrganicLawnDIY Apr 28 '14 at 22:23
A photo might be helpful. – Tester101 Apr 29 '14 at 9:56

If the pipe itself is in good enough shape, you could just use a compression cleanout plug (sometimes called a mechanical cleanout plug) or a pressure testing plug:

enter image description here enter image description here

There are quite a few different styles of these, but almost all of them work by compressing and expanding a rubber gasket inside the pipe. 2.5" might be hard to find at the big box stores, but they are available numerous places online. The main consideration would be finding one that would seat deep enough into the pipe that it would be beyond the notches for the old cap.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.