A tag is a keyword or label that categorizes your question with other, similar questions. Using the right tags makes it easier for others to find and answer your question.

× 344
Attaching something to a wall. If you're using this tag, your question is probably a duplicate.
× 340
The "C" or Common wire provides a way to get constant 24VAC power to the thermostat, now required by many newer thermostats with WiFi and/or touchscreens.
× 339
For questions generally relating to the proper insertion of a particular device or feature into a home, building or other structure. As this topic is very broad in general, when using this tag please …
× 325
Horizontal support structures beneath the floor running between load bearing walls.
× 321
For questions generally relating to the artificial stone-like building material typically called "brick", and also related materials like "cinder block" and natural stone blocks.
× 318
when the topic is about a normal fence like around a yard. It can be wood or chain-link, etc.
× 318
For questions about large appliances that automatically wash dishes.
× 316
Structure above the floor joists and below any finished flooring.
× 310
used in a central heating system to heat water that is pumped through pipes to radiators within the home.
× 307
Planning, installing and troubleshooting circuits using electrical dimmer switches for controlling the brightness of lighting.
× 292
Preventing, identifying, or treating mold infestations in the home.
× 291
Questions about the structure of a building (i.e. moving, adding or repairing walls).
× 289
for any situation where fresh air needs to be infiltrated such as while painting or varnishing, drying carpets, etc., to prevent buildup of unsafe gasses including Radon.
× 283
Vertical member in wall framing.
× 280
Questions about systems that produce and distribute heated water.
× 279
Trim provides a transition between different surfaces and materials, covers gaps and adds a finished look. Trim includes molding (moulding), wainscoting, mantels, etc.
× 275
Questions about wires, usually seen in electrical applications. Questions with this tag are typically about sizing wires appropriately for the projected usage, but could also be about properties of or…
× 269
when the topic is about organized storage for quick-access, with or without doors, like in a kitchen or a pantry, and as opposed to open shelving..
× 262
A substance used for sticking objects or materials together.
× 260
furniture making, repair, and refinishing
× 258
used to allow drain water to flow freely by permitting air the enter the system, usually through a vent stack or an air admittance valve. Use with the [plumbing] tag
× 248
For questions about exhaust fans -- i.e. fans used to remove air from specific rooms in a building and exhaust it to the outside in order to control humidity and/or combustion products. Exhaust fans,…
× 242
For questions about conventional gas or electric ovens used for baking. For a microwave oven, use the microwave-oven tag. See also range and stove which are similar but refer to different appliances.
× 241
a common type of plastic pipe, used for both plumbing as well as electrical conduit. Use with the [plumbing] or [conduit] tags when your question is specific to this type of…
× 234
used to protect electrical wires, when a simple jacket alone is not enough. Conduit may be metal or plastic (PVC). Use with the [electrical] tag.
× 233
For questions regarding a central heating system for the home. The system consists of a furnace or boiler and a method to distribute the heat throughout the home.
× 229
A device for securing access, typically on a door, and typically controlled with a key or combination.
× 229
For questions generally relating to outdoor ground-level flooring areas such as patios.