4

That panel is made of hardboard. A cheap compressed fibre board that is often used for covering or closing areas which may need later access. Usually about 4 to 5mm thick and is often nailed, screwed or glued to a frame. Given the porous nature of the board, then the best course of action is to replace it.


4

Looks to me like the fittings are soldered, so that would mean copper. Can you gently scrape some of the gray paint off - it already appears to be flaking off in places - and see if the copper color shows?


3

If you do not have a shutoff below the dirt level or at the house you can pack dry ice around a short section of pipe and that will freeze the water and make a plug . I have done this with galvanized and copper never tried plastic . Only an inch or 2 being frozen will plug the pipe and not break it. I have had to do this when I had to replace the main ...


2

The damage to the panel does indeed look like mold and mildew damage. It may not always smell musty, especially if it is thoroughly dry right now, so you can't always go by that. The mold in your drink can is most likely not related. Mold spores are around us all the time, looking for food. Sugary drinks are good food for them...


1

It looks like several species of mold / fungi. Not a big problem and easy to kill but hard to keep it dormant if allowed to be moist. Use a hydrogen peroxide mixture on it at least 3% , sponge it on let it dry and that will kill the surface spores (everything you can see) you don’t want to saturate the board it it will fall apart. 3% sponged on to dampen the ...


1

It is mold/mildew and water stains (or some combination of both) and the panel needs to be replaced. I don't think it can be rehabilitated successfully and the cost of new materials is not that significant...probably less than the chemicals and sealers that you'd use and would ultimately be unsuccessful.


1

The blue cap is just the cover over the meter glass where the useage reading is. It looks like you have a meter riser installed. It is used when the city needs to raise the height of the meter. If you dig around on the City side you should find the city shut off. There is one there for sure. You will find a brass bar about 1.25 inch long and about 1/2 ...


1

The local countertop businesses that I contacted all told me they would not perform such a repair, and some suggested a replacement of all of the countertops instead ($$$). Some handymen told me it would be silly to reuse the laminate, and that either all of the countertop can be replaced or they suggested replacing the damaged portions with a tile ...


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible