New answers tagged


I had an issue with the smell as well. In my case, I had to make sure that the washing machine's drain tube was not inserted too far down into the wall drain. After reading a suggestion on the web, I retracted some of the tube back out of the drain. The smell went away after the p-trap resealed itself with water. The smell hasn't returned (3+ years ago).


How can I determine if the sewer smell is from a lack of p-trap in the wall (ideally without removing drywall)? It would be very unlikely for there not to be a trap; they are required by code. More likely you have a trap that is being siphoned dry, which can be caused by various problems including poor venting, clogged or partially clogged drain, poor ...

Top 50 recent answers are included