Hot answers tagged

23

First of all, you should probably contact a mold abatement contractor. Not only should they be able to remove the existing mold, they should be able to identify its cause as well. Then you may need to consult an attorney since from what you've said, this doesn't seem to be a one-shot deal in your unit but a systemic problem likely due to defective ...


9

What should I do immediately about the mold? I'm worried about breathing in the mold, and unsure of whether I should try and save the items of clothing that have mold on them. There's a couple of things about mold to consider. Mold needs moisture to grow. The first step in any mold problem is to identify where the water is coming from. If it's an outside ...


6

I've been in no less than 300 attics and every one of then has had dust, grey dust, in them. Your attic has soffits installed to vent the attic. You also have vent pipes going through the roof to vent caps that allow some backdraft into the attic. If you've ever had your roof redone, stuff will be knocked down. Mold needs a fare amount of moisture and most ...


4

This old house has an excellent video on why the soffit location is bad, and how to vent through a common shingle roof. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqrZWd_CQIE How to Vent a Bath Fan Through the Roof, August 2014. The homeowner installed the same way your contractor did, and in just one season there was mold under the roof. Your contractor should pay ...


4

They definitely look like water spots or leaks. You stated you've been in the attic and saw no sigh of leaks... have you been up there lately and actually looked at the drywall where the spots are? If no signs of any leaks, blotch some bleach over the spot. If it's an old water stain that might remove it. If you do paint, get a stain blocker and apply it per ...


4

Try using a spatula and clean off the moldy area, it might just be some rust, without disturbing the rest of the paint so you don't mix the mold/rust in. Once it's cleaned up, stir the paint and determine if the texture seems right and then paint a scrap piece of wood and see what it looks like. The fact that you don't have the acrylic smell means the ...


4

Really hard to say for sure; the only way to be certain is to do some slightly invasive investigating. Peel back the paint and see what is going on with the drywall underneath. Is it moldy? Wet? Water damaged? If you still can't tell, drill a 1/2" hole and look at the swarf that gets pulled out by the drill bit. If you can get your hands on a borescope, ...


4

That panel is made of hardboard. A cheap compressed fibre board that is often used for covering or closing areas which may need later access. Usually about 4 to 5mm thick and is often nailed, screwed or glued to a frame. Given the porous nature of the board, then the best course of action is to replace it.


3

All wood products are loaded with mold spores. I work in a lumber mill all the lumber is sprayed with a fungicide to stunt the growth for a month or two. When the wood is dry and not exposed to moisture there will be no growth. There hundreds of different types of mold and only a few are hazardous, so yes there is mold and fungi in your wood. Do you need to ...


3

Every stick built house has mold of some type. I have worked in construction since the 70’s and well as a gopher 60’s , I currently work in a lumber mill , the boards are sprayed with a fungicide , plywood when I worked in that plant I could not believe how fast the “mushrooms” and other fungus grew on the edges of the veneer prior to being assembled. So don’...


3

You would want to use a bi metal hole saw. You are right to not want to use a wood only hole saw, the teeth tend to grab, not cut. Try something like this: Good luck.


3

No. From their FAQ: Can I use Wet & Forget indoors? Wet & Forget is specially formulated for outdoor use and requires exposure to the weather to work properly. For indoor use, we recommend Wet & Forget Indoor Mold+Mildew Disinfectant Cleaner. See: Wet and Forget FAQ


3

That is natural aging , the most rot resistant wood redwood turns gray within 5 years , cedar within 3 and that’s in Oregon. If you stain it a color or paint it it will hide the aging but this is normal with most any wool product, pressure treating keeps it from rotting not aging.


2

What that needs is a good scrubbing with warm soapy water. If the paint comes off because it is old or because it is no longer durable enough to survive a good scrubbing... then it needed repainting anyway. Use a high quality gloss or semi-gloss paint if you do it.


2

Obviously the root problem is too much humidity in that area and fixing that properly would mean adding ventilation to get the warm and moist air outside. Short of that, I can think of two things you might do: Clean the area with a chlorine bleach solution (not 100% bleach) but something like 1 cup to a gallon of water. Wear gloves as this will burn your ...


2

I would try one of two ways: a) use a small drill bit 1/4" perhaps, and drill holes just inside the edge of the desired circle. The use tin snips or a dremel tool. Cutting the entire thing with Dremel isn't going to work unless you have a LOT of cutting wheels at your disposal. or b) just drill one 3/8-1/2" bit at the edge. The use a jigsaw with metal ...


2

First thing you want to do is verify that the fan is working. If there is an attic, you need to get up there and check the venting to the outside. If no attic, then remove the fan so you can stick your head up there and see what's going on with the vents. Poor ventilation is a major cause of mold and mildew. All my bathroom vents have 60 minute timer ...


2

I don't see any darkening on the braces, rafters, or underside of the roof deck, as I would expect if you had that much mold. It looks like plain dust to me.


2

You’re right...we avoid two layers of vapor barriers, but that is for walls, ceilings, etc. with material in between the vapor barriers that can have moisture in the lumber or trap moisture within the void space as heat transfer the walls, ceilings and reaches it Dew Point. In this instance you are “sealing” the DRY rubber underlayment. (Emphasis on “dry”.)...


2

Toxins from fungi can definitely become airborne. When removing them, since you have a lot of items, use a N95 respirator just to play it safe. Place items in a large plastic bag and seal the bag before placing it in your car. As a common courtesy, let the people at the recycling facility know about the fungi.


2

Respirators are more typically used for preventing inhalation of gaseous contaminants which aren't filtered by simple fabric masks. They force air through media which entrap those gases. While they will also catch particulates, they're usually overkill for situations with just that concern. In your case, both silica dust and mold spores are particulates, ...


2

No. Your filter is before the fan, before the cooler. Condensation occurs far after that.


2

Yes, you should remove the mold. It seeps into the wood and would prevent your sealers from doing their job to the fullest. Bleach is good for surface mold but it doesn't penetrate the surface. I've used white vinegar, one cup to 3 quarts water. Scrub the mixture on the wood and then spray off with water. Let the wood totally dry and follow the directions ...


2

They don't mean "Even when unplugged". They mean "When unplugged". Because refrigerators are wet inside, and refrigerator doors seal too well Try putting 1/2 cup of water inside a cabinet, then bagging the outside of the cabinet door with plastic. You'll get mold inside that too. The interior shell is not a hermetic seal. It's just some cosmetic ...


2

Primer-unbdercoat often has a higher pigment content than topcoat paint, this helps it cover marked surfaces better. usually the pigments are a combionation of carbon black and titanium oxide white. When left to stand the different pigments will separate at different rates giving a mottled result like you show above. just give it a really good stir. Not ...


2

If you read the technical data, they recommend another product to fill holes, cracks, etc. Then this product is recommended for smoothing out surfaces, bonding to various substrates, etc. If there’s moisture in the wall or coming through the wall, it will allow staining, mold, etc.


2

The damage to the panel does indeed look like mold and mildew damage. It may not always smell musty, especially if it is thoroughly dry right now, so you can't always go by that. The mold in your drink can is most likely not related. Mold spores are around us all the time, looking for food. Sugary drinks are good food for them...


2

Most building wood, esp. PT which usually has a very high moisture content should be stacked with stickers between the boards vertically and a half inch - inch or so between them horizontally to allow for air flow. Also best to store high moisture content wood outside, but covered only on top (like a wood shed). (posted as an answer at the request of the OP)....


2

Grout is porous which allows water to sit and grow mold. You need to use a grout sealing product. Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Aqua-Mix-Sealer-s-Choice-Gold-24-oz-Penetrating-Sealer-AMSC24Z/202907686 After cleaning your grout, you can use a product that will soak in to the grout and seal it from water entering. You should do ...


2

Never say never or always because that will always get you in trouble. Vinegar is an acid--it will eat the galvanized off the drip pan and can attack the fins so vinegar or acid-based cleaners are bad. I don’t like bleach because it stinks and if not completely rinsed will have your house smelling like a swimming pool for days. No boiling water the thermal ...


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible