New answers tagged


I don't think digging a deeper hole into wet ground is going to help you. You need more surface area. I would form and pour a footing two to three times the area of the support you currently have. If it is too cold to pour, then I would simply put the jack on some 4x4 or 4x6. If you are sure you will fix it in the spring, it doesn't matter what kind of ...


This is probably just a good comment but I would highly suspect that the old wall is providing zero support. Just because things are connected to it does not mean that it is supporting those things. Given that a new basement was poured there is a 99% chance that they pushed those walls up to provide load support to the entire house. Since this was ...


I think you answered your question when you stated "some type of plaster". That's exactly what it looks like to me. Plaster is usually applied over lath strips but can be applied straight to concrete but it doesn't last as long and is prone to crack, chip and damage to moisture. It is relatively easy to patch by just mixing more plaster, according to ...


The inspector may have meant a vertical I-Beam. As far as how many to use, while hiring an engineer is the safest route, consider buying the For Pros By Pros "Foundations and Concrete Work" as a resource to guide you should you consider attempting (risking?) to tackle this without an engineer's help.

Top 50 recent answers are included