Skip to main content

For questions about panelboards (also known as "electrical panels", "circuit breaker panels", "fuse boxes", "distribution boards", "consumer units", or "load centers"). Questions about individual overcurrent protection devices should use [circuit-breaker].

A panelboard, sometimes called an "electrical panel", "circuit breaker panel", "fuse box", "distribution board", "consumer unit", or "load center", is a busbar or mounting assembly and accompanying dead front enclosure, designed to house overcurrent protection devices (fuses/fuseholders, circuit breakers) and/or circuit disconnecting means (fuseholder disconnects, circuit breakers, snap switches). Other forms of circuit protection (ground fault/residual current, arc fault, and central surge/spike) may be integrated into panelboards as well.

The individual protection devices (fuses and/or circuit breakers) found in a panelboard are discussed in .