Hot answers tagged


You want to remove an exterior wall that is integral to the structure of the building so you will need to know how to provide a suitable, to code, way to support the load that the wall is carrying. Suggestion: Hire a Structural Engineer to tell you what is required. You will need a structural engineer to size the correct beam and post system that will be ...


While your approach is fine, but I prefer to add an edge beam as shown red in the sketch below. Then you only need to run the diagonal in between the beams.


Finally found the answer, they are equivalent and interchangeable as long as with the same grade (1.5 1.6 1.7 ect) here some info (in french) about the two : See section 4.5

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible