Need help with fixture. How do I tighten retaining ring on lamp sconce with out retaining ring wrench? Thanks

  • I usually use a long flat blade screwdriver and tighten it by hitting the nut on an edge with a screwdriver with another tool some times a hammer, sometimes a pair of players, many times pliers are tough to get in there but a flat blade screwdriver with a smack on the edge I tighten everything from 3/8 to 6" conduit. – Ed Beal Dec 14 '18 at 2:10
  • Is this in British or something? Finger tight; that's why it's knurled. Or are we talking about lock nuts on an EMT-to-box connector? That's when you bang on it with a screw driver. – Mazura Aug 11 at 5:50

Channel Locks or Crescent wrench if you can fit it in there. If not buy a wrench replacement. I see them going for $4 at Sears and Walmart.



enter image description here

  • Or properly adjusted vice-grips. – Wayfaring Stranger Oct 11 '18 at 19:34
  • I have never seen or used a wrench like that for a fixture. Electricians use channel lock type pliers and or a driver like a chizzle or screwdriver to tighten nuts. – Ed Beal Dec 14 '18 at 2:15
  • Use pliers on the fitting, not the nut. Start it so it will end up facing the right way if it's a screw-type connector... assuming there's no drywall yet. – Mazura Aug 11 at 5:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.